Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am 81 and having shortness of breath. I have had a x-ray…

Customer Question
I am 81 and...

I am 81 and having shortness of breath. I have had a x-ray of lungs and breathing tests, and had an echocardiagram and EKG. All are good. I do have a large hiatal hernea and hemochromotosis. In addition my back is bad with loss of cartilage due to iron overload. I am also slightly anemic.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes I have seen my Dr. and she ordered the tests. I am on meds for heartburn, laxative, softner, gabapentin, trazadon, venlafaxine er, lisinopril, and metoprolol. In addition I take vit E, magnesium and B12.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Yes, but I can't think of them right now. I usually break out in a rash.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I've lost 5 inches in height and have had both knees and hips replaced.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/15/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually from what you are describing it sounds like that the shortness of breath could be associated with the hiatal; hernia that you have. A large hiatal hernia can push up on the lungs and can cause decreased expansion which can lead to the development of shortness of breath. At the same time, it can also cause pain in the chest region as well. Usually, if a hernia is causing problems in breathing then surgery would be needed in order to correct it and prevent the push on the lungs. So if all of your other tests including the tests for the heart are normal, then the hiatal hernia can be the cause of your shortness of breath. Another cause of this could be associated with the vessels inside the lungs, in case of small blood clots in the lungs, the xrays and also the breathing tests would usually come back as normal. The common test which can pick up on clots in the lungs would include a CT angiogram of the chest and also a Doppler ultrasound of the legs.

So I would recommend that you do get a CT angiogram of the chest if the shortness of breath is worsening and if that comes back as normal then you would need to have a hiatal hernia corrected.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/