Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My girlfriend has been taking doxycycline for acne. She was…

My girlfriend has been taking...
My girlfriend has been taking doxycycline for acne. She was supposed to start her period today but she hasn’t yet. We haven’t had sex at all. We were both naked and I was getting in the shower and she was getting in the bath. She did touch the top of my penis and then put her hand in the hot bath water. As soon as she did I told of her to get out of the tub and empty the water. She did not touch her self at all because she washed her hands before she took her bath. She was sitting in the tub while I was standing. I did not release but it’s possible Pre-Cum came out and she put her hands in the water. Is it possible she is pregnant or is it just the medicine? She is pretty regular. She also says she didn’t eat with her medicine on Saturday and ever since she has been taking it with food but feels terrible still. Is the medicine continuing to make her sick? She said she has been cramping.
12/15/2017
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, Doctor

Hello and thanks for your question.
It's my first priority to help you.
I'm reviewing your question now & will post back with the reply soon.

As per your description, if you hadn't unprotected sex in her midcycle then chances of pregnancy are nil.

Her missed period can be caused due to Doxycycline.

And she should eat some food before taking it.

It's good to start a probiotic and maintain a good hydration with Gatorade while taking Doxycycline.

She can take OTC Pepcid and Aleve for nausea, upset stomach, and cramps.

If her symptoms will not show any improvement then see your doctor for a clinical exam.

"I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today!
Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).
We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

We have not have sex at all. The reason for thinking she’s pregnant is because of the tube situation I mention. Did you miss that?
Also why is she cramping if she isn’t on her period?

Thank you for replying back.

No, she can't get pregnant with tub situation.

Such cramping can be caused due to Doxycycline-induced gastrointestinal upset.

She should take such self-care remedies as mentioned earlier.

Take OTC GAS X also.

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.
Please avoid poor/bad rating.
Please leave positive rating by clicking 5 stars above the chat box if you are satisfied with our conversation.
Waiting for your reply.

Can you explain the cramping to me a little more? She told me she’s worried something is wrong because she has never had cramps this bad. Should she stop taking the doxycycline until she’s no longer sick?

I understand your concern.

As per your description, possible differential diagnoses of such cramps may include Doxycycline-induced gastrointestinal pain, cramps before start of period.

As it can be possible that she will get her period in next few days.

As stomach pain, menstrual cramps are listed side effects of it.

As antibiotic kills good bacteria of our body/gut along with bad bacteria causing infection resulting in imbalance in normal flora.

So causing such symptoms.

I would advise her again to start such self-care remedies as mentioned earlier ASAP.

In case of severe pain, vomiting, dizziness she should see a doctor at an emergency room.

Doxycycline should be discontinued.

Thank you for your help

Good wishes for your health.

Thanks.
Take care.

Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, Doctor
She had brown bloody discharge about 1-2 weeks ago. Could that be from the medicine? If so was that her period? If she is normally regular on her cycle could it be she had her period early and it was brown and bloody? It lasted about a week?

Thank you for replying back.

Was such brown blood discharge scanty or profuse?

No.. it was just a lot of discharge. It wasn’t like my period because those are typically heavy. Some days it was gross and seemed like it had clumps and other days it was just a little spot of brown. And one day there was a bunch brown discharge mixed with blood

That couldn't her period.

It could be midcycle bleeding due to hormonal changes/ ovulation bleeding.

If she didn't get her period yet so she should see her doctor for a further clinical exam.

Hope this helps.