Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My 92 year old Dad has extreme weakness that started about…

Customer Question
My 92 year old...

My 92 year old Dad has extreme weakness that started about three weeks ago. He sleeps most of the day now and was really active before. He went to the ED and had blood work done and it was fine. Any ideas?

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Very good

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, not really

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/15/2017
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 2 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Did he have a chest xray and a head CT done as well?

How about a urine test?

By chance, do you know what blood tests he had done?

What would cause extreme weakness in my 92 year old Dad? It's been going on for about three weeks, and before that he was active. He had a workup and blood work done in the ER and everything came back fine. He sleeps most of the day and night for the last 3 weeks.

How about a urine test?

If you could answer the questions above then that should help me better determine the possible causes as to why he is feeling more weak than usual.

They did a chem profile, a urinalysis, EKG, x-rays of lung and chest.
they also gave him IV fluids thinking he might be dehydrated but it didn't help

They rule out anything cardiac, they ruled out anything wrong with the liver and kidney assuming they did a complete chem panel, and the xray should have ruled out a pneumonia. The other tests they could have ran are ESR and lactic acid and done a CT of the head which would have ruled out a stroke or anything else going on in the brain that could have caused fatigue.

Did they perform a neurologic exam?

No.

That would be the next step.

If you can, I would make an appointment with a neurologist to have a CT and a neurologic exam done and they will likely run the other tests as well.

We often draw blood cultures as well.

So it seems that the ED did the initial workup but not a complete workup.

thank you.

The most common cause of weakness is often a mild viral infection or a bacterial infection. Sometimes a small stroke can cause weakness without specific stroke symptoms.

Dietary insufficiencies could happen but rarely so suddenly.

Vertigo can happen in the elderly which causes profound weakness without classic symptoms of dizziness.

Glad I could help.

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

-Dr. Mo

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD