Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I recently started taking 25 mg of Zoloft. I was on prozac…

Customer Question
Hello!I recently started taking 25...
Hello!I recently started taking 25 mg of Zoloft. I was on prozac before and my doctor wanted me to switch to Zoloft because my husband and I are trying for a baby and she said that it was a bit safer than other medications. It has been about three and a half weeks and my mood is definitely good and I feel well there. However, I have had some really bad GI side effects since I started . The worst being bloating and gas. The bloating is really bad and making me feel very self conscious and uncomfortable. I am wondering if this will subside with time and if not, if there is something I can take with the zoloft or in addition to help with this problem. I really don't want to go off the medication because I do need it, but the bloating, etc is not fun at all! I am hoping to get some help from you guys! Thanks very much.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
12/15/2017
Doctor: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today.

Although abdominal pain is a known side effect of Zoloft, excessive gas and bloating may also be caused by this medication. You can try over the counter Bean-O or other Simethicone containing medications. These are also safe with pregnancy. Since you are benefitting from the Zoloft, it is advisable to continue it. I hope I have addressed your concerns.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Do you these side effects will get better or will i just have to keep taking things like Gas X or Nexium or Align?

Yes, they will lessen in 2-3 weeks and may even totally go away. Taking Bean-O or Gas-X should help.

How are you feeling? Less gas?