Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm 92 and have had diarrhea for a month gas so bad that I…

I'm 92 and have...

I'm 92 and have had diarrhea for a month gas so bad that I think I'm going to bust. My Doctor has done nothing so far that's help.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

The Doc took a stool sample, said to take med for diarrhea. omeprazole 40mg, gabapentin 300mg three a day,tamsulosin 0.4mg. Been taking anti diarrhea meds for two weeks.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No I'm pretty healthy still work 5 hr

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/14/2017

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Was the stool sample for a culture?

Were you screened for an H pylori bacterial stomach infection?

No

There are two possibilities here--

One would be that H pylori infection

The other would be irritable bowel syndrome

If it's the H pylori you'd need a course of antibiotics for it

IBS can be treated with Bentyl or Viberzi

I suggest you ask your doctor to do an H pylori screen and in the meantime you can try oral probiotics and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water twice a day

Please let me know if you need any more information

Ok

Did you need any more information?