Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

If I have Factor five Leiden and I dont Know if my 27 yr old…

Customer Question
If I have Factor five...
If I have Factor five Leiden and I dont Know if my 27 yr old daughter does .. should she stop taking her birth control pills ?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
12/14/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Actually, you have the right idea, she should stop taking birth control pills to be on the safe side until she can get tested for the Factor V Leiden deficiency. If she has the gene, then she is at an increased risk of developing blood clots and using birth control pills in that scenario would increase the risk significantly. BUT at the same time, she should practice some form of birth control, like using a diaphragm or condoms because if she gets pregnant that too can increase the risk.

However, she should get tested as soon as possible so we can know whether she has this deficiency or not. The chances of her having this are low as she would need a copy of the defective gene from both you and her father which would increase her risk of developing blood clots to 80 in 1000 and if she has only one copy of the gene her risk would be around 3 in 1000.

But to simply answer your question, YES she should stop the pills until she gets tested.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor