Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Here is my issue. I have had ADD since I was a kid (I am 30…

Customer Question
Hi. My name is*****...

Hi. My name is***** here is my issue. I have had ADD since I was a kid (I am 30 years old now) I think I was first diagnosed ADD (not ADHD), when I was maybe in mid school. I think I took Ritalin back then. 3 years ago (Dec. 4th 2004) I had a Gastric Bypass (with the Roux-en-y). I was seeing a very good Psychiatrist for my ADD (Also Bi-Polar and PTSD). He has been practicing since 77, so he knew a fair amount about G-Bypass surgery. He switched me to Adderall IR 30 mg 3 times a day. Sadly he has retired and I currently am trying to get a new Psychiatrist. Meanwhile, my Primary Doctor is prescribing my medications. So here is my problem. I have gone from 330 lbs to about 195 lbs (my weight may fluctuate by 10 pounds or so. The first two years I seemed to absorb the Adderall fine, but this has since stopped. I am scheduled to see my Gastric Doctor in January, but I was thinking I would ask a question about how best to get the ADD medication to absorb. I don't know if you have any suggestions, but I really do need it for focus, concentration, and it also helps with impulsive problems. If you have any ideas of how I might take it (what I might eat or not eat...etc) to help get the medication to work again, please let me know. I really appreciate any help and your time. Thank You:)Devin Leonard.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

The only medication I can not take is any Ibuprofen or Aspirin based meds. They can cause an ulcer in gastric patients. I take IR versions of Adderall, Effexor, and Abilify

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

The gastric bypass is the only major surgery I have ever had. So I don't think so.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
12/14/2017
Doctor: Dr. Kaushik, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
Well, you see it is very common an occurrence that after years of usage one particular drug the effects of the same begin to wane owing to the body's development of resistance against the drug and hence the poor results begin to show up as compared to previously effective results of the same drug molecule. Now, when such a scenario develops as is present in your case too then one can either go for addition of a potentiating agent which means adding another drug which will enhance the action of this ineffective drug or the second option is to replace the drug with another potent drug.
So, in this case it will be advisable to replace Adderall by another psychostimulant medocation such as either modafinil ( provigil) or atomoxetine because there does not seem to be a drug available which can be added to enhance adderall action.
So ask your primary doctor to consider replacing adderall with either modafinil or atomoxetine.
I hope this makes sense and gives you a direction to move in.
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.
Regards
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor