Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've been taking amoxicillin for a sinus infection for 10…

Customer Question
Ok I've been taking...

Ok I've been taking amoxicillin for a sinus infection for 10 days now. It's hasn't gone away. Now my throat hurts and I have sore on the back of my tongue. Plus I'm sneezing constantly and still congested? What should I do now?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Since Saturday.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had gestational diabetes 17 years ago. Also I'm on the nicotine patch. I haven't had a cigarette in 4 days.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/14/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 7 months ago

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Amoxicillin isn't usually very effective on sinus infections

The sore on the back of your tongue could be thrush--yeast infection--from the amoxicillin

For now you could try oral probiotics and a saline nasal irrigation system but I think you need to get back to your doctor for a different antibiotic like Cipro or Septra and oral Diflucan for the thrush

Please let me know if you need any more information