Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a pain in my lower left abdomen, just under the rib…

Customer Question
I have a pain...

I have a pain in my lower left abdomen, just under the rib cage, if I press it. It feels dull, like when pressing a bruise

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

About a month, maybe more. Not pressing it and I don’t notice it

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

History of IBS, depression, allergies - gluten, lactose, I’m taking an antidepressant once a day. I’ve chronic urticaire also and a skin rash. All possibly stress related. My wife was pregnant, it was a high risk pregnancy and we lost the baby last week. It has been for me a stressful 4 months

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
12/13/2017
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 8 months ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

What has your doctor said about this pain?

What tests?

What diagnosis?

My Dr is theoretical and thinks it is the pancreas
No call needed
Hello?
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

No thanks for a call. Respond here

Sorry to hear about that. Is it a constant pain or it comes and goes? Does it radiate to the back? Does it change with food, posture or activity ? Anything that seems to help?

Please ignore the automated phone call requests

It is only noticeable when I press the area.
I have back pain regularly so if it is radiating I am not aware because I have spondylolethetis isthmic at L5-S1
No change when eating
I feel a little constipated. I open my bowels nearly every day, but it feels like it is not much
I am wondering if it is IBS. And perhaps stress related.

Alright you need to get a few labs done alongwith an ultrasound.

These include;

Complete blood count

Serum amylase/ lipase for pancreatitis

Serum liver function tests

Ultrasound abdomen.

You can manage the pain with tylenol or ibuprufen. Take an antacid if it feels gastric which is typically burning .

For constipation you need to add fiber in the form of fruits/ vegetables. You may take miralax if this doesnt help. Keep good water intake .

If the pain is IBS related then OTC mebeverine can be really useful.

So for now take tylenol and omeprazole for pain, miralax for constipation and get these tests done

Please let me know if you have any further queries

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Regards.