Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was just wondering what it means when I go to bed at night…

Customer Question
Good morning, I was...

Good morning, I was just wondering what it means when I go to bed at night my left leg stiffness up and then locks up. This only happens at night.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

A little swelling once in awhile I notice in that leg, but nothing major.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No I do not take any medications, I am 58 years good blood pressure, and so on.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/13/2017
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Venous insufficiency or pooling of blood in legs can cause feeling of stiffness/ heaviness in legs . It becomes more noticeable as you lie down in bed . It would be appropriate if you get it examined by your doctor to see any signs of venous insufficiency like dilated veins , skin changes etc. To be sure on that ,it needs doplpler ultrasound on arterial / venous blood flow of the leg.

Other possibility could be neurological pain which can sometimes present as altered sensation in limbs.

If you have a standing job and you prefer putting weight on your left leg then it could just be muscular . So these are the things you probably need to consider.

You can take flexeril which helps relax your muscles for this.

Any weakness in arm, leg or any speech deficit should mean immediate visit to ER.

I hope it helps.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Regards.