Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have shingles on the right side of face and wanting to…

Customer Question
I have shingles on...

I have shingles on the right side of face and wanting to shower and wash hair, Unable to use a bathtub.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?

Was diagnosed yesterday but the doctor I saw Saturday missed it so I would say 3-5 days. No other skin issues

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have macular degeneration and cataracts but my vision seem fine and not affected.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/13/2017
Doctor: Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.Gently washing the face or showering will not be a problem.Applying soap gently will infact help prevent any spread of the virus.Gently pat dry the face with a small towel.Do not touch with hand or towel and then touch elsewhere as that may spreas the virus .Do not share towels as that may help spread the herpes.Use of oral and local antiviral drugs will help treat the herpes zoste rand provide relief.If the herpes is affecting the area over the eye,you need to get evaluated by an Opthalmologist.Once the lesions dry out and the scabs have fallen off ,you are no longer contagious.Use of Pregabalin/Gabapentin may help in case of Post Herpetic Neuralgia.