Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

OOccasionally when I eat something fairly solid and fail to…

Customer Question
Second opinion] oOccasionally when...

Second opinion] oOccasionally when I eat something fairly solid and fail to chew it properly like and apple or sometimes a sandwich a bite of which i amy have swallowed before breaking it up in my mouth. I am aware of the mass descending in my oesophagus and at a point mid chest if I fail to take a deep breath to get oxygen to my brain I will faint. Generally it happens whilst seated at a table with no alarming consequences. I concluded that the bulk was restricting a blood vessel. Have you any views on this

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Health good blood pressure close to normal . father died of a heart attack but there wireman contributory factors in his life style.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Age 78 walk and sail a lot. Not on any medicines

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 3 days by:
12/16/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 8 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

the mass most likely is not restricting blood vessels

it is most likely a large food bolus passing through your esophagus and stretching your esophagus causing this pain in your chest making it hard to take a deep breath

you should make sure you chew your foods up well and swallow smaller bites

and drink water with your food which can help the food go down

you shouldn't be experimenting with swallowing large amounts of food without chewing it well.