Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am, normally, a fit 93 year old male living in the

Customer Question
Caribbean. I have been suffering from...
I am, normally, a fit 93 year old male living in the Caribbean.
I have been suffering from lack of balance- dizziness - for some little time.
Recently I went to the dentist, allowed him to have me lie down with my head far back in the professional chair. When I got up I found that I was walking very unsteadily. I ambled around to see a chiropractic friend who had me lie flat on her bench. She then grabbed my head between her two hands and pulled the head hard, horizontally away from my body.
That worked, when I stood up I felt well balanced.
Since then I have suffered frequent small in-balances.
Yesterday I was sleeping, as normal, on my left side ( I suffer from a deviated septum)
I started to sit up and turn to lie on the other side. The world went crazy around me.
I could distinguish nothing - everything was a whirl.
After a while I was able to settle down - but never sufficiently to walk normally.
From what I read it is obvious that I have a problem in the ATLAS area - something serious is amiss, obviously in the cerebral vertebrae. There is no indication that my chiropractic friend has a solution to what is patently very serious and on-going.
A short time ago when I was in the sea floating on my back, and I allowed my head to sink a little below the line of my spine, I suddenly suffered this total disorientation.
To the extent that I, a very good swimmer, felt I could easily drown. I hurried ashore and staggered away. In the local hospital MRI and XRAY examinations of the neck area were carried out and the results shown to a local doctor, who said he could see no problem.
What am I to do? I do have an 'over the door' traction device.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
12/12/2017
Doctor: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today. I'm sorry that you are suffering from vertigo. From your description, it sounds like the crystals in your inner ear(s) have come out of place. The first time you visited the Chiropractor what is called an Epley Maneuver put the crystals back in place. Unfortunately, they did not stay in place, which is not unusual. Sometimes this procedure needs to be repeated several times before all of the crystals are back in place. May I suggest you re-visit the Chiropractor for another treatment. After the treatment do not bend your head and move slowly for a day or two. This will help keep the crystals where they belong so you don't experience the dizziness again.

I hope I have addressed your concerns.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Any additional thoughts, questions?