Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter is 12 and had bad breath for about 1-2months…

Customer Question
My daughter is 12...

My daughter is 12 and had bad breath for about 1-2months then went to the dentist and he found nothing. After that we started taking probiotics and bad breath is gone. Now we have nonstop coughing every few seconds especially later in the day. No coughing when sleeping sometimes grinds her teeth. Two weeks ago she looked tired and complained of a sore throat. She had a sore throat for 1- 2 days. She was also sneezing a lot then. She burps more than usual but I don't know if it is because of coughing so much and taking fish oil, pro biotics. I think she has a tic but not sure why all of a sudden this has happened. Never noticed things before. What do you thing

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?

The coughing started about a month ago for her and it seems worse lately and she never had a fever. The cough is loud sometimes and then other times soft.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She does clear her throat sometimes. Also was hit in the face about 2 weeks ago with a ball. She said she feels exhaustedfrom coughing

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/12/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

taking fish oil can cause bad breath

fish oil can upset the stomach and cause worse stomach acid and burping

acid reflux can cause sore throat.

why does she need to take fish oil?

A chiropractor suggested it. I am very concerned with the nonstop coughing and she didn't take fish oil until she got the bad breath but that is gone.
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Is the cough dry or she coughs up mucous too ? Is it bad at night / early morning too ? Or what time of the day is it the worst? Does she sleep alright? Any history of allergies like food allergies, asthma or runny nose in winters, eczema etc?

It is dry no mucus. Sometimes the cough sounds like it would be a tickle. When she tries to hide the cough you can see her body move.

Does she cough while sleeping too?

She falls asleep with a little cough and then nothing when sleeping. Within 20 min. Waking up she starts coughing but it seems worse later in the day. I know she tries to suppress the cough in school so she is probably tired when she gets home. It is usually every few seconds in the evening. It is also better when she is eating.
Sometimes is is restless when sleeping but no coughing and no allergies or asthma as far as I know. She does wipe her nose more the past 2-3 weeks but it is cold here.

Well it sounds bit psychological here as she doesnt seem to have any issues when she sleeps or eats , indicating that when she is distracted or asleep she is totally fine.

If she diesnt throw up mucous or has no fever then it shouldnt be anything alarming. I would suggest using air humidifier in her room, alongwith OTC cough suppressant syrup , anti allergic like benadryl.

It could be cough variant asthma too which can improve with montelukast use . Its available in powder form for kids but needs a script.

So steam , air humidifier, benadryl and cough syrup for now. If it becomes even worse with fever or phlegm then few tests would be required like CBC, chest x ray , ESR , sputum culture and sensitivity , Renal/ kidney function tests.

I hope it helps.

Let me know if you have any more queries

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Regards.