Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had an a1c reading of 6.5 over the years. My doctor…

Customer Question
I have had an...

I have had an a1c reading of 6.5 over the years. My doctor has not prescribed any medication saying at this level exercise and diet should control even thought the reading has not gone down over many visits and an extended period of time. It is not discussed advice given .The last reading a month ago was 7.0 and I was called by the receptionist to say all was normal. When I noted the high reading I was told all was normal. I am 77 years old and in pretty good health considering my age.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

Please review my message, I am 77 years old.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am not in any pain related to my question. Which is

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/12/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 7 months ago

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Do you know what your fasting blood glucose is?

I just know the ac1 reading of 7 and I know this from reading my test results which are posted on my chart on the internet. The doctor did not go over the test with me. I do not have a testing device since my doctor has not told me any test results. I got a call from his receptionist say all was normal.

Well that level of an A1C is definitely not normal and I would consider you either prediabetic or diabetic and I would start you on metformin

I suggest you have your doctor refer you to an endocrinologist for more evaluation

Please let me know if you need any more information