Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter has been having hives and swollen lips for the…

Customer Question
Good morning, my daughter...

Good morning, my daughter has been having hives and swollen lips for the last 3 months. She is 17 and this is beginning to affect her self esteem. We've been to an allergist and she tested negative for 52 allergens. We will be going for a blood test today . I wanted to know what are some of the blood test that can we done to rule out an auto immune disease.

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

Since September....No injuries her lips and face swells up and she gets really bad hives

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in the child's medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing major.... She wears braces . She has had that for over 3 years....

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/12/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Welcome to Ja and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's symptoms. Actually the tests which are done to determine if she could have an autoimmune condition include the following,
ESR
ANA
Anti dsDNA
ENA Profile which includes a whole host of autoimmune testsAt the same time we can consider other problems such as immunodeficiency states which can present with recurrent hives as well. The 9ne which I would look into first would be common variable immunodeficiency which presents with hives and recurrent sinus, ear or throat infections. It can be diagnosed with the help of a complete immunoglobulin profile including IgA, IgE, IgM and IgG levels.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.