Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What causes Costochondritas & how can you treat it? I

Customer Question
What causes Costochondritas &...

What causes Costochondritas & how can you treat it?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No, I haven't seen a doctor. I take a couple advil when the pain is really bad.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

It started about a week ago. It's worse when I raise my arms, move shoulders. Using upper muscles across chest hurts.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I"ve been T1D since 8 years old.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
12/12/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, costochondritis is inflammation of the cartilages of the ribs. There are various causes for this to occur, commonly it can occur after excessive exercise, muscle strains, trauma, viral infections however in some cases it can also be due to autoimmune diseases as well. In some cases, the underlying cause cannot be determined. It is a common disease which afflicts numerous patients on a daily basis and in a majority of the cases it can be treated with simple OTC medications. The common therapy is to advise rest and avoid excessive exercise in the initial two weeks after developing the problem. Next, you should be started on REGULAR ibuprofen which means that you should ibuprofen not only when you have pain but rather on a regular and consistent basis for 10-14 days. I would recommend using ibuprofen at a dose of 400 mg thrice daily for a period of 7 days, to begin with. At the same time start applying OTC capsaicin gel to the area as well. If these measures fail to improve the symptoms after a week then you may need to visit your doctor and get a clinical examination done. In severe cases, you will also need steroid injections or oral steroids to reduce the inflammation.

But right now I would suggest that you try the above measures AND also increase the intake of plain water & electrolyte rich fluids like Gatorade which would be helpful.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

I live alone & it's rather hard to get complete rest. With that will it last longer? I don't like taking prescription meds. Their full of tokins. I'd rather go with something natural.

WIthout rest, the inflammation may last for 3-4 weeks depending on the nature of the exertion. If you cant rest, try avoiding lifting heavy weights or placing any sort of stretch on your chest muscles. Secondly, the ibuprofen is OTC and not a prescription drug but if you still want to avoid it, use the capsaicin gel which is a natural remedy. You can also use the following natural medications, they may not be AS effective as the ibuprofen (Advil),

Eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables high in antioxidants particularly ones you feel drawn to that will nourish your heart and lungs.

Herbal medicines including: Ginseng, chamomile, fennel, karva karva, ginger, passionflower can be very effective in reducing the inflammation

Noni fruit

Turmeric can be an effective remedy here because of its anti-inflammatory properties

Do you have any more questions?

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor