Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I was diagnosed with Strep troat 4 days ago. Doctor didn’t…

Customer Question
I was diagnosed with Strep...
I was diagnosed with Strep troat 4 days ago. Doctor didn’t do the the test but she said it’s definitely strep throat. I was prescribed amoxicillin for 10 days it’s day 4 of drinking pills( i am breastfeeding) but no BETTTER. My throat hurts, it’s red it’s swollen i have pain in my ears, head. I have chills and body aches day six i am on tylenol for fever all of those days it’s doesn’t get better seems it’s getting worse! What to do? Should i go see doctor again or it’s supppose to be like that?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
12/12/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. IM sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, amoxicillin usually takes about 3-5 days to start working and since you are on day 4, it is possible that you may start to feel better by tomorrow. However, if you don't, then it is likely that the bacterial infection that you have, is resistant to amoxicillin and in that situation, you will have to have your antibiotics changed to a more potent one. If you don't feel better by tomorrow, then I would suggest using a course of azithromycin which is usually very effective in killing off strep and other bacteria which can cause this sort of problem. Also, azithromycin can be used SAFELY in pregnancy as well.

In the meantime, continue to use OTC medications including OTC Tylenol 1 g thrice a day along with OTC antihistamines like Claritin or Zyrtec or even Benadryl. You can also use OTC Tylenol in the following way, crush a tablet of Tylenol in lukewarm water, mix it thoroughly and gargle with it twice a day for approximately 15 minutes. This will provide local relief from the sore throat.

But if you don't feel better by tomorrow, DO contact your doctor and get started on stronger antibiotics.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Is it using tylenol for so mamu days won’t affect baby breastfeeding?
you said 1g thrice a day? What does it mean?

TYLENOL is completely SAFE in pregnancy and breast feeding and would not cause any problems.

1 g thrice a day means that you will have to use two tablets of 500 mg each every 8 hours.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor