Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I am 18 years old, female and I am having a different type…

Customer Question
Hi I am 18...

Hi I am 18 years old, female and I am having a different type of pain on my left side of my ribs to the middle of my rib cage. I know it hurts to bend a little. However I have a very high tolerance for pain. I have been putting heat on it and taking advil when needed. Do you have any idea what this might be?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

The pain started when I got these wierd headaches that the doctor in the ER said was tied to the strep that he diagnosed. Thats been one week now were I have been strep free. I just recently came off the medication. The pain comes and goes. I would say the pain has been like this for maybe a month. The pain comes and goes but burping doesnt feel great, nor bending over. Along with moving to fast at times, or even pressure. Laying down not doing anything helps.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have Epilepsy and my memory has been very weird and I was seizure free for a while and then all of the sudden my memory and seizures started coming on. That has been happening for awhile

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
12/12/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually from what you are describing it sounds like that you could have developed one of a couple of conditions the first one which comes to mind is that you could have developed acute costochondritis. This is a condition in which there is inflammation of the cartilages of the ribs. This would lead to pain in the ribs which can radiate to the back as well. This can also worsen on deep breathing and coughing. Usually, this would be diagnosed with the help of a simple clinical examination and also with the help of an MRI if needed. ANti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen would be helpful at a dose of 400 mg thrice daily and sometimes Steroid injections would be necessary as well.

Another cause of this could be damage to the intercostal nerves in the rib cage. These can cause this sort of pain in the ribs and the back. Usually, this can be the result of viral infections, trauma or even an autoimmune disease. The diagnosis can be made with the help of a clinical examination and also with the help of a nCS/EMG test. The treatment can be with various medications including Neurontin and lyrica.

Lastly, this can be due to an electrolyte imbalance which is occurring repeatedly leading this problem. Blood tests would be able to confirm this problem, If all of the above are ruled out then I would also consider oesophageal spams in which the esophagus itself undergoes spasms repeatedly and this can cause this sort of pain. This would be treated with calcium channel blockers and nitrates, to begin with.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor