Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have had this rash on my buttocks for several months and I

also have a rash on...
I have had this rash on my buttocks for several months and I also have a rash on my top of my vaginal area both are red in color and will not go away. A doctor, told me to get some Aquaphor and put on it, I've even use Desitin, I even bought some medicated Gold Bond powder to try and dry it up. What should I do this is very irritating to me
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: I've had the symptoms several months now. And I don't know like I have tried everything from not wearing underwear to wearing underwear, after I take a shower I Pat the area dry and then I put the Aquaphor on there, I've even used Vagisil cream nothing seems to work the rash is not getting better and it's kind of spread I think and made it come to the front on top of my vaginal area
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I just had surgery and had part of my cervix removed. The doctors looked at my rash before my surgery and didn't give me any suggestions. Except to use the Aquaphor it seems like when I put the Aquaphor on it just makes it moist and it doesn't dry up the rash
12/12/2017
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for the question.

This is likely to be Contact dermatitis. Aquaphor and Desitin will not help.

Please apply a mild steroid like Cortisone, available without a prescription, twice a day for ta least 7 days. you should see the rash clearing up.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tried that and nothing has helped. I've had the rash for several months and it's driving me crazy. Even on my front of my body by my vagina has got the rash. I think the rashes spread from the back to the front kind of sort of it's hard to describe so I will send pictures
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Like I said I don't know what else to do I've changed soaps that I bathe with. I use Dial soap, Dove soap, I stop taking bubble baths I only take showers. I've pat the area dry with a towel, I have even put medicated powder on the affected areas to try and see if that would help. The affected area seems to itch in the front. Don't know what else to do.

That looks like genital psoriasis. This is an auto-immune inflammatory condition which can spread or flare up from time to time. While moisturizers will help to keep the area soft, you will need to consult a dermatologist for specific prescription strength treatment like Tacrolimus and pimecrolimus.

Please consult a dermatologist for a checkup.

I hope this helps.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I am supposed to see my primary care doctor in the morning for 8:30 a.m. I'm trying to get referred to a dermatologist. I am hoping I can get this cleared up as soon as possible it's driving me nuts and it's really embarrassing. Thank you so much for responding to me and such a timely manner. Happy holidays and God bless
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can the dermatologist help with this?? And is it the same thing as the front part that I sent you is it all the same symptoms?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What kind of soap should I be using when I take a shower? Am I Using something wrong when I'm bathing? What are the symptoms do you have any clue? Is it something I'm eating or not doing right?

Yes, it is the same as the previous pictures.

And yes, the dermatologist will be able to help with this.

And Happy Holidays to you too :-)

Please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
By the way I'm 49 years old and going through menopause. I'm in the beginning stages. I never had these symptoms until I started going through menopause. Back in May I was treated in the hospital for a light stroke, and once I came home the symptoms begin and they just never went away.

The perimenopause is a time when your hormones are fluctuating and not stable. And that is also the time when you are more prone to get skin problems like Psoriasis.

A dermatologist will be able to help you with this condition

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor