Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Why would a person have to be sedated so he could breathe on…

Customer Question
Why would a person...

Why would a person have to be sedated so he could breathe on his own?

Doctor's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ohio

Doctor's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not sure, he took a fall, seemed to be getting better then was put back in icu

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not looking for a legal opinion just a medical one

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
12/12/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 8 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

in the ICU, patients have to be sedated to breath by a breathing machine or a ventilator.

once the patient is better, they can have their sedation reversed and the breathing tube removed for the patient to then breath on their own