Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I started Lexapro 6 weeks ago now. Prior I was on Celexa for…

I started Lexapro 6 weeks...
I started Lexapro 6 weeks ago now. Prior I was on Celexa for 6 years. Both at low 10 mg dose. I stopped Celexa because it was giving me hand tremors. I move to Lexapro since it was similar in molecular structure to Celexa.I have several issues with Lexapro and I feel maybe I should ween off it but do not know how. Lexapro is correlated to me really clenching my jaw. My jaw and teeth are pained from it. I clench my jaw away and sleeping. The internet says this is a potential side effect. More importantly, I feel very blah on this med, I do not want to do the things I like to do. I just want to do nothing. I had more positive energy on Celexa.I don't know if I need either and I would like to consider seeing how I am without them. What is your thoughts and can you tell me to ween off a 10 mg dose of Lexapro
12/12/2017
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Each doctor weans such a medication differently.

The first rule is that you do not do this on your own.

What type of doctor is prescribing this for you?

Have you talked with them about this?

Just my family doctor. I did and they thought it would go away fro week 4-6, but wow the clenching is not good.

OK

I will have an answer for you in just a minute

One option is to simply change back to celexa, and you don't have to wean, you can switch, under the monitoring of your doctor.

Also realize that there are a number of other medications in the class of lexapro, all different slightly in their action.

There are also atypical medications, such as wellbutrin and buspar which have different actions.

Genetic testing is now available to help determine which medication you are compatible with, and a knowledgeable psychiatrist would do this testing.

Typically if one is to taper, and this is often not needed at all on a low dose, and typically not needed with lexapro.

One method would be cut the dose in half for a week or two, then go to an every other day dose for a week, then off.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually at the top of the page]. In fact, and this is most important for continued service, a 5 rating squares me with JustAnswer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician