Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've been diagnosed with Bell's Palsy earlier this year. My…

Customer Question
I've been diagnosed with...

I've been diagnosed with Bell's Palsy earlier this year. My facial paralysis went away. I was on and finished acyclovir & predisone earlier this year. I now have some burning,itching and low grade fevers on and off for about a week now. Sometimes my face feels a little numb (like Bell's Palsy) wants to onset again. Is the burning, itching of the ears with fever part of the symptoms of Bell's Palsy?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?

About a week. I'm 20yo female and I never had chicken pox or any STD's.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Hmm...I've been diagnosed with asthma before and was I in the ER for dehydration and gastroenteritis earlier this year

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
I like to add that because I tend to still not drink enough water...I average about 32oz a day with not much other liquid intake. I got upset over this bells palsy issue so I don't excercise like I used too. I actually became more of a homebody and stay on the couch or in bed most days. I'm not overweight, I'm 5'5 1/2 and weigh 130lbs.
One more thing I'm remembering, before Bell's Palsy earlier this year. My mother and I got in the biggest argument ever. She yelled at me and threw an open water bottle my way that got me wet and very angry. I got angry back and I totally exploded by screaming, crying and then being in a depressed state for about a week. I was very unhappy about and stressed about the situation.
I should've ended with that Bell's Palsy came on about two weeks later from that argument. So, I've been trying to understand if the stress caused it or was it because I had also gotten sick (flu/cold - earache & fever) after that happened.
12/11/2017
Doctor: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hello. Bells' palsy can come on after an upper respiratory infection. Stress tends to suppress our immune systems and make us more vulnerable to infection. In this way, they can be indirectly related. While Bell's palsy typically only strikes a person once, it can recur in some cases. For this reason, it would be important for you to try to minimize your stress as much as possible, take good care of yourself in terms of diet and exercise, and speak to your doctor as soon as any Bell's palsy type symptoms start. The earlier it is treated, the better the outcome in most cases.

Thank you. I will contact my primary care physician as soon as possible.

You're welcome. Hope all works out for the best for you.