Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

If Squamish cells were found in a blood draw from a mass?

Customer Question
If Squamish cells were...

If Squamish cells were found in a blood draw from a mass? Does that mean the mass has cancer cells? Or could it be from the skin?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Did a PTE scan. Had one small 1cm on the back of throat that was a hot spot. Did surgery to remove it but not cancer and no other signs of cancer. Current dr wants to chemo and radiation just in case cancer is there but they can’t see it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/11/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

surgery would have shown cancer if it was there.

PET scan often can show false positive in the throat as the FDG dye can light up saliva which can pool in the back of the throat.

They think the mass on the neck may have the cancer behind it and they can’t see it (mass was caused with blunt force trama) they want to do radiation and chemo to shrink the mass so they can remove it and see if there is cancer?

they should biopsy the mass if there is worry about cancer.

blunt force trauma will cause a big bruise which doesn't need radiation