Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Pill stuck in throat. Very uncomfortable

Customer Question
Pill stuck in throat ...

Pill stuck in throat

Doctor's Assistant: How severe is this?

Very uncomfortable

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/11/2017
Doctor: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, are you having any difficulty breathing, feeling short of breath? How old are you and do you have any chronic medical conditions? What type of pill did you just take that feels stuck? And what medications do you take? Thank you in advance for your replies.

I took an adderall IR (circular non coated)No difficulty breathing not in trachea. But definitely present and uncomfortable. Im 19, almost 20 years old. No chronic medical conditions, just bad at swallowing pills.
Its def stuck in my esophagus, behind my larynx area. I tried hot liquids, warm liquids, olive oil, water, eating bread/food/candy, drinking water in diff positions, massaging throat, jumping around, and puking. Its there for sure I can feel it move.

Thank you for that information. How long ago did you take the Adderall pill? And were you able to swallow all of the other items you listed above without pain or difficulty?

its been in my throat for four hours. I could swallow a starburst whole and half a muffin without difficulty but the pill is STUCK! Maybe cuz i broke it in half? I think it may be stuck in like tissue flaps there. Please save me im losing my sanity.
Family Physician, Doctor