Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

How can I stop excessive burping? I burp so hard and it

Customer Question
How can I stop...

How can I stop excessive burping? I burp so hard and long it makes my chest sore.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?

For years. It kinda comes and goes. sometimes it gives me a short break. I am type 2 diabetic

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am I n good health at age 86.Copd not real bad and anginia

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/11/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

I need more information regarding your symptoms/question to help you more efficiently.

Did you try to investigate this before by a doctor before? Any kind of tests done , or Endoscopy?

Any treatment taken so far for this?

Endoscopy

Thank you very much for the useful information.

Did they find any abnormality in stomach?

gastritis

Excessive burps or gas is usually due to excessive air swallowing, or increased gas production from food particles which are non-absorbed.

You should be treated for gastritis and associated reflux/ulcers (if any). Drugs like omeprazole (Prilosec) are helpful in this condition.

Following measures will be helpful for you at home;

1. Avoidance of carbonated beverages

2. Trial of lactose/sorbitol (which is in diet foods and chewing gum)

3. Reduce/avoid gaseous foods (such as legumes)

4. Also you can try drugs such as simethicone and Beano

If these measures do not help alone, then you need further evaluation for other gas producing problems like bacterial overgrowth in the intestines ---- which can be detected by breath tests and treated effectively.

sometimes I wake up in middle of night with shortness of breath and will start burping and after burping several min. the shortness of breath will stop

This is because the excessive gas puts a lot of pressure on the stomach and food pipe and this gives a feeling of heaviness and shortness of breath until the gas passes out.

For you, gastritis should be treated, along with the life style modifications I have told you.

If still it doesn't help, then its indication to have more investigations done.

Was it helpful?

This was no help. my dr. told me same thing. Thanks any way.

Thank you and Goodluck.

Family Physician, Doctor