Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Dull but painful burning sensation coming from within my…

Customer Question
Dull but painful burning...

Dull but painful burning sensation coming from within my upper abdominal area.. approximately three finger with below the bottom of my ribcage.. slightly to the left.. pain set in very quickly from no pain to severe pain within 10 minutes. Have been visiting the hospital daily as my father had an operation to remove gallstones from his Liver. Haven't eaten anything and feel sick. Pain is making me feel fatigued and I have no energy since the pain set in. Running a mild fever! What could it be?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?

It has been just over an hour. Other that the issues just explained not really.. I'm laying completely still as I am scared that if I move the pain will increase. I used the restroom around 20 minutes after the pain began to see if it would help but it did not.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have a weak immune system generally, endomitosis but definitely never felt a pain like this before.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/11/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

sorry you are having this pain

how old are you?

are you male or female

the most common cause of pain below the left ribs is due to excessive stomach acid causing gastritis

over the counter stomach acid reducing medications like zantac (ranitidine) or prilosec (omeprazole) and Gavascon or Mylanta or Maalox can help decrease stomach acid and help decrease the pain often.

skipping meals can cause worse stomach acid inflammation of the stomach

increased stress can increase stomach acid production as well

sorry about your father.

let me know if you have questions.

26
Female

sorry about your dad

have you tried any stomach acid reducing medications before?

do you have a drug store close to you where you can by some and try it

also try to avoid meals

eat some toast or crackers which can help if you can't eat a full meal.

Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 7 months ago

Hello I'm Dr Chip

You requested another expert

There are some possibilities here--

It could be a viral gastroenteritis that will run its course in a few days

But it also could be pancreatitis or a peptic ulcer problem

And it might also be an H pylori bacterial stomach infection

For now you could try oral probiotics and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water twice a day, but you really should see your doctor for an exam, blood work and a screen for the H pylori

Please let me know if you need any more information