Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

For the past year and a half I have suddenly started

Customer Question
developing, very infrequently,...
For the past year and a half I have suddenly started developing, very infrequently, small linear scratches on my torso, shoulders back and face. The first few times I noticed them I wrote it off as having scratched myself at night. As I started paying more attention to them I realized that they start at stinging burning sensations followed by a raised linear line, followed by an open scratch. They usually last about three or four days then scab over and disappear. It is very concerning to me. Most of the online forums I have read have stated anything from scabies to something viral. My dermatologist suggested it was possibly some type of dry skin reaction. I highly doubt that. Very concerned and confused about what could be going on.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
12/11/2017
Doctor: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Your symptoms suggest that you could be suffering from a condition known as Dermatographia.

Dermatographia is a type of allergic skin reaction in which the skin cells are overly sensitive. Even a minor skin rub can cause welts ( a thin raised line) to form. Contact with tight clothes can also sometimes cause welts.

It is believed to be due to a immune reaction by the skin cells or due to extremely dry skin.

The standard treatment is to apply a mild steroid like Cortisone on the welts as they arise and to keep the skin well hydrated with a good moisturiser. Taking anti-histaminics like Benadryl can also help if the condition is very extensive.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.