Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

We spoke about my negative HIV test at eight weeks and you…

Customer Question
We spoke about my negative...
We spoke about my negative HIV test at eight weeks and you said it doesn't likely change at twelve weeks?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/10/2017
Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD

Correct. What other Qs do you have for me?

Just making sure, have they ever really seen it change?
It is giving me severe anxiety

Do you know exactly what kind of test you had? Was your blood drawn, or did you have finger stick or saliva test?

Blood test

In general, drawing the blood leads to the most accurate testing with the earliest results. It would be very unlikely (not zero but pretty close) that you'd seroconvert (meaning switch from negative to positive) in another 4 weeks.

Okay thanks

Just checking in to see if you had any further Qs.

If you are satisfied with the response received, please leave a review by clicking the stars above. Thank you!

Say for instance he drugged me and I don't know if he raped me, is eight weeks still enough time to know. As far as I know it was just oral sex.
Because I do know he gave me a drink not sure what he put in it.

I am so sorry to hear this.

In answer to your Q, yes, 8 weeks is enough time to know, the vast majority of the time. In rare, rare cases it can take a solid 12 weeks to seroconvert (turn from negative to positive) so if you wanted to be absolutely sure you could test again at 12 weeks (or later if you wanted).

Okay thanks
Just checking in to see if you had any further Qs.If you are satisfied with the response received, please leave a review by clicking the stars above. Thank you!