Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

The back of my right hand is swollen..has been for 2

Customer Question
The back of my...

The back of my right hand is swollen..has been for 2 days..gets worse overnight

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

2 day, no injuries..just woke up and the back side of my hand was so swollen I couldnt make a fist..it improves during the day then swells again at night

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

2 days

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
12/10/2017
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 8 months ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Of course we can not diagnose this or treat you and you need an exam in this situation. However, I can give you possibilities and direction.

I need some questions answered first.

Any other medical problems?

Any injury to the hand?

Your age?

Gender?

Is this inflamed?

I have gout..have been on medrol a week ago..I am 61 and male..It's not infammed, not "pitting", just swollen

OK

So this can be gout, even if not painful

By not pitting, what do you mean

When I press it, the skin comes right back, it dosent "pit" like the examples I have seen online

Take your index finger, press it into the swelling, hold it for one full minute, then see: let me know

Came right back up

OK.

Gout can do it, even without pain.

Other forms of autoimmune disease, for example, rheumatoid arthritis, which can occur at a higher rate in those with gout.

This is going to need, at minimum exam and x ray.

A problem with a blood clot should be pitting, in almost every case, but not all....so you need examination of the venous system in the arm .

Infection is not likely.

The pattern that you describe CAN indicate bad veins in that arm as well, and again, doppler studies will be needed.

OK, so let me know if you have more concerns and questions. I am here.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually at the top of the page]. In fact, and this is most important for continued service, a 5 rating squares me with JustAnswer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.