Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am 75 and I need to know what the real signs are for heart…

Customer Question
Hi, I am 75...

Hi, I am 75 and I need to know what the real signs are for heart attacks. I have copd ,I have mini strokes and am on blood thinners. could you help me , I have went on line and I just get a lot of nothing. my systems are pain all under my collar bone. pain under my arms and some down my arms. sick to my stomach

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Nothing. once in awhile it gets a little better, but comes right back.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I take water pills, blood pressure pills and ibuprofen for my back.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
12/9/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 8 months ago

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

First off, the term real signs isn't really applicable for this, since one can have a relatively silent heart attack with some shortness of breath, mild fatigue and nothing else

The major sign of course in someone your age is any kind of chest pain and it doesn't have the be the crushing "elephant sitting on my chest" kind of pain

Any chest pain that is aggravated by deep breathing or, say moving the arms, isn't likely to be heart related

There can be left arm or left jaw pain only sometimes

Palpitations with any other suspicious symptoms would more likely signal a heart attack

Please let me know if you need any more information