Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband takes meds for hypertension. He saw his VA MD on…

Customer Question
My husband takes meds...

My husband takes meds for hypertension. He saw his VA MD on Tues and his BP was elevated around 160/80 with his meds. The MD told him to check his BP 2 x a day and get back to him if it remained high. This morning it was 180/80 before meds and 166/82 after meds. Should we go to the ER?

Doctor's Assistant: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?

He saw the MD 4 days ago. Yes he has hypertension in his family.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He also has high cholesterol and is pre-diabetic and is 75 years old. 5'11" and 223 lbs. Right now sad over dear friends death.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/9/2017
Doctor: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Dear customer

This is Dr. Josh. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

Yes,your husband should be treated at ER.

The range of systolic blood pressure for most healthy adults falls between 90 and 120 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg). Your husband's systolic blood pressure of 166 is higher then normal.

Normal diastolic blood pressure ranges between 60 and 80 mm Hg. His diastolic blood pressure of 82 is normal.

An elevation of the systolic and/or diastolic blood pressure increases the risk of developing heart (cardiac) disease, kidney (renal) disease, hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis or arteriosclerosis), eye damage, and stroke (brain damage).

Following is recommended for him:

-Restrict salt intake .

-Drink plenty of water.

-Limit alcohol & avoid smoking.

-If he is overweight,then loose weight.

-Eat a healthy diet.

-Eat less fat and sodium.

So as of now,he needs to be monitored at ER & medications will be prescribed to control his BP.

So I advise you to take him to ER.

Thank you.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Do you have any other follow up question regarding your husband's high blood pressure?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Just checking in to see how is your husband's blood pressure now?

Do you need further assistance?Is there anything else that you would like to know?

I am online & is waiting for your reply.

Please do reply.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

I have seen that you have not rated my answer so far.Please leave positive rating above the chat box. However if you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.Please do not forget to leave positive rating (3 or more stars).

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh