Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am 3 months postpartum and since thanksgiving I have been…

Customer Question
I am 3 months...

I am 3 months postpartum and since thanksgiving I have been having pain on the inside of my right leg next to my knee. It’s more my thigh really where the leg bends. It’s a burning/pinching sensation. It’s not swollen or red and is slightly sore when pressed and I notice the soreness off and on throughout the day. Certain positions seem to help slightly. I had both my legs ultrasounded thoughout my pregnancy since I’ve had it in both legs at different times and drs and I were concerned about DVT. But my scans were clear. I’m not sure if this is due to weight gain or strain on muscles from pregnancy but it seems to come on suddenly. I am not taking any birth control and have not been in a plan or car since 20 weeks of pregnancy. The only thing is I am sitting freq

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No swelling after sleeping and walking a lot symptoms seem worse

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
12/9/2017
Doctor: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for the question.

Your symptoms are not suggestive of a blood clot. They point more to a strained muscle or a pinched nerve , a strained muscle being ore likely. This will cause soreness when pressed with the pain increasing with activity and decreasing with rest. Particular positions will also increase the pain.

The pain can be relieved by applying a warm pack on the sore area to help relax the muscles. Slow stretching exercises will also help relax the muscles.

If the pain continues after 1 week of applying warm packs. please consult a doctor.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.

Thank you, ***** ***** risk can be higher in the postpartum period but thinking it could be a pinched nerve, cold actually seems to help more then heat. Also the pinched sore feeling seems to be worse after lying down and getting up in the morning

A strained muscle will be more sore after a period of inactivity , especially if you have been inactive in the same position, for example w, while sleeping.

Both cold and heat help sore muscles - Cold helps when the injury or trauma is acute, that is , within 1-3 days. if teh duration is longer, then warmth is usually more helpful. But if cold is more helpful in your case, please go ahead and use cold packs.

Temperature changes would not help in a pinched nerve.

Chances of this being due to a strained muscle is higher.

I hope this helps.

Hello

I hope you are better now. Is the pain gone? If not, has it increased in severity?

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor