Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Juran, I am in my IVF cycle and my husband just gave me my…

Customer Question
Hello Dr. Juran, I am...
Hello Dr. Juran, I am in my IVF cycle and my husband just gave me my first progesterone shot , he did not pull the skin taut and I am afraid the med didn't get to the muscle. Please advise ...thank you
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/9/2017
Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor

How long is the needle he's using?

Did he put the needle all the way in?

How much do you weigh? Thank you.

he put it in all the way...
I’m 5’7” about 135 lbs
Needle is 22G by 1 1/2

I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as the progesterone reaching the muscle. You most likely have less than an inch of subcutaneous tissue before the needle reaches the muscle.

In my experience, most nurses don't don't pull the skin taut before giving IM injections, the way they demonstrate on the how-to videos. Just inserting the needle straight in and up to the hilt will make sure that the needle tip is into the muscle. You should be fine. good luck with the IVF.

Thank you!

You're welcome.

Please click the ratings stars. Thank you.