Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been getting sharp almost needle like pains in my…

Customer Question
I have been getting...

I have been getting sharp almost needle like pains in my breasts. I have a history of DVT with bilateral PEs in 2005 due to birth control patch and chronic migraine w/out aura. I went in a few weeks ago to the ER with shortness of breath and leg pain. They did an ultrasound, ecg, and CT scan and full blood panel. All were normal.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

My migraines are more than 15 days a month less than daily. Some months I will only have a few days migraine free. Very rare nausea aso I usually can take an abortive in time, and have Zofran desolvable tablets just in case.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have a herniated disk at L4/L5 from a car accident in 2007, that still causes some sciatic pain. I had a colposcopy last month to remove a good size polyp/ fibroid on my cervix which was benign.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/9/2017
Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor

How long have you been getting the breast pains?

What medications have you taken in the past week or so?

Do you have much stress?

Has your weight changed? Thank you.

I have been getting the pains for a few weeks now. I'm not on any new medications, but I take a lot of preventative med school and abortive med school for migraine. Gabapentin 100mg, Topirimate 75mg, cyclobenzoprene 10 mg, Claritin, aspirin 80mg, hydrocodone 35/325, dexamethasone 10mg, zofran 4mg, also magnesium 200mg, I was taking Vitex for a couple weeks. I have a lot of stress currently. I haven't gained any weight in the last months, but have gained 30 pounds over the last 5 years. I am 40 years old.

Sharp breast pain of fairly recent duration is almost always due to benign causes, and therefore are not a sign of breast cancer.

The pains are likely due to some combination of age (occurs more often as a woman gets older), stress, hormones (your hormones are likely fluctuating more now than in the past, with sometimes higher estrogen levels), and possibly weight.

Stress is the factor that you may have the most control over, since you can't do much about your age or hormones. Trying to get regular exercise, enough sleep, good nutrition are all important. If you can decrease the stress, that would help.

Most likely the breast pain will decrease over time, and will decrease more the more you can do something about the stress.

If you haven't had a mammogram, that is something to consider, although as I said, the pain is very unlikely to be due to breast cancer. If the pain persists, then I'd see your doctor for further evaluation. Best wishes.