Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have major swelling in my left leg from calf to the thigh…

Customer Question
I have major swelling...

I have major swelling in my left leg from calf to the thigh for five days?? Please help with any medical advice......

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

This is first time ever happened. The swollen It has beenweek and h

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Premenopausal and herniated disc

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/9/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 8 months ago

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Any pain or muscle tenderness with this?

Any change in skin color?

Pain when walking or standing in the knee and calf. No change in color.

This is very concerning since it sounds like you have a deep venous thrombosis--a clot in a leg vein

If that's not rapidly treated with blood thinners it could lead to a dangerous pulmonary embolus--a clot in your lungs

The other possibility would be a tendonitis problem with your lower leg

But I really have to urge you to see your doctor about this right away for an exam and a Doppler venous flow study of the let

Please let me know if you need any more information