Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Can I take plan if I am on birth control? I don't take pills

Hi, can I take plan...
Hi, can I take plan B if I am on birth control? I don't take pills super consistently at the same time everydau (3 hour range) and am worried i will get pregnant
JA: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
12/8/2017
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Yes, you can take plan B if you are not consistent in taking birth control pills on time. There would be no problem taking both together.

sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Please let me know if you have followup questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How does it work? Will I get my period? Do I resume taking birth control the day after I take plan b?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes you can resume your birth control day after and it might delay your period for few days or may not affect them at all.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dr. Uzair,
I bled almost immediately after taking the Plan B pill, maybe within half an hour to an hour. Does this mean it worked? Do you recommend that I get back on birth control as normal?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it can be due to plan B and you can go back to normal routine of birth control from now.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Scott, Doctor

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Plan B One-Step is a progestin-only emergency contraceptive indicated for prevention of pregnancy following unprotected intercourse or a known or suspected contraceptive failure. One tablet taken orally as soon as possible within 72 hours after unprotected intercourse. Efficacy is better if the tablet is taken as soon as possible after unprotected intercourse. Heavier menstrual bleeding is the most common side effect. Emergency contraceptive pills are not effective if a woman is already pregnant. Plan B One-Step is believed to act as an emergency contraceptive principally by preventing ovulation or fertilization (by altering tubal transport of sperm and/or ova). In addition, it may inhibit implantation (by altering the endometrium). It is not effective once the process of implantation has begun.

Do you have any other questions?

I am showing that you have given a negative rating. Keep in mind, I can only give you truthful information as simply telling you only what you wish to hear but what may not necessarily be true would only hurt you. If you are upset at your situation but not by the quality of my answer, please consider rerating positively as I am only a messenger. If you simply want more information, feel free to reply and let me know - I am here to help you to your satisfaction. If you have other concerns, reply and let me know. I am here to make sure you are satisfied.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, I actually have not rated you yet. Follow up questions - I bled a little very shortly after taking the plan B pill but there's no sign of my period (which is supposed to come tomorrow). Does this mean the pill worked?
No you should have a normal menatrual cycle in 3-5 days after taking plan b
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello. This is Dr. Love.

The system says that you have requested a new expert.

What further information would be helpful?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dr. Love , I found some of the above responses to be unclear and vague. I am confused if I should resume taking birth control pills or not after plan b? On the one hand I want to see if I get my period but given that the window for that according to my pills is tomorrow, I am doubtful I will see. If I continue to take pills, then this might suppress my period for another month and I won't be able to tell if I'm pregnant or not. Also, does the initial bleeding that occurred after taking plan b indicate it worked successfully?

Yes, you should take your usual birth control pills exactly on schedule, including when it is time to take the "off color" pills.

No, the bleeding that occurred shortly after taking the Plan B does not indicate that they worked. It also does not indicate that they did not work. The bleeding could be due to the effect of the pills on the lining of the uterus (the endometrium), as part of the mechanism of action described above, but it would be too early for any change in the endometrium to be effective at averting pregnancy. It also is too early to know whether preventing ovulation or fertilization has occurred. The only indication that Plan B worked successfully is when the normal period arrives, whether it occurs on schedule or occurs late because of using the Plan B.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Dr. D. Love, Doctor