Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How to cure wet flatulence. I have not

Customer Question
How to cure wet...

How to cure wet flatulence

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I have not

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/9/2017
Doctor: Dr.Sawhney, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor

Welcome to justanswer.I amCustomerand your complete satisfaction is my goal.I am reviewing your question and I would respond shortly.

Please excuse for the delay.
The website shut down for maintenance when I wrote the initial reply and there after I was unable to login.
I am typing my reply and would post it shortly.
You are describing fecal incontinence.
Most common causes of bowel or fecal incontinence are diarrhoea, constipation and muscle or nerve damage.
Increasing age is also a predisposing factor.
There are a few measures you can take at home to treat the problem.
Foremost is avoiding constipation. You can do this by having lots of water and getting adequate fibre in your diet. You should have at least 20 to 30 grams of fibre in your diet but that should be divided over the day. You may also use metamucil which is the preparation of psyllium.
You may also keep a food diary as that can help you identify certain foods which are associated with wet flatulence for you.
Examples of such foods include spicy fatty greasy foods or cured or smoked meat. Diet soda and caffeine containing beverages along with alcohol can also be responsible.
You also need to avoid sugar free gum or other products which contain artificial sweetners.
Another very important measure is use of Kegel exercises which are exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles.
To do these exercises you need to train the muscles which you used to hold your urine.
Contract these muscles and hold for 3 seconds followed by 3 seconds of relaxation to start with.
Gradually increase the duration of hold taking it to 10 seconds. Gradually increase number of contractions so that you do 3 sets of 10 contractions each for 10 seconds.
Having bowel movements at a regular time every day also helps.
To prevent any skin irritation around the anus due to fecal incontinence you should gently wash the area with water after every bowel movement.
Drive it without rubbing it with a cloth or tissue paper.
After drying it you can apply a moisture barrier cream. You may also apply a non medicated talcum powder or cornstarch.
Wear cotton underwear and loose clothing.
If the incontinence does not improve even after the measures described above you need to get to see a doctor who can then test you for weak muscles or any nerve or muscle damage.
According to the results of those test treatment can be recommended.
There are different methods of treatment available according to the cause of incontinence.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Do take a moment to honor my work and time by rating my answer hopefully 5 stars.