Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have just been diagnosed with neurosarcoidouis and am

Customer Question
I have just been...

I have just been diagnosed with neurosarcoidouis and am concerned

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes I have just seen my 7th specialist and a biopsy of a lymph node in my chest came back as positive for sarcoid. I also take heaps of medication for bipolar type 2

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes I have all my tests and results images etc in a file I take to each appointment

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Bipolar and sarcoid treatment options

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/8/2017
Doctor: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hello. Are you having neurological symptoms? Are you on treatment currently for the sarcoidosis?

I have had 3 seizures in the last two years at first they thought I had a stroke but an MRI showed a lesion on my brain this triggered a whole heap of tests coming back with a core biopsy of a lymph node in my chest. Investigations have been ongoing since may this year. To cloud the issue more is I am bipola type 2 so steroids maybe a problem.

I see. Well, not everyone who has sarcoidosis needs treatment. Sometimes the disease goes away on its own. Whether you need treatment and what type of treatment depends on your signs and symptoms, which organs are affected, if any, and whether those organs are working well. While prednisone can cause serious side effects, especially long term, your doctors will find the lowest possible dose that controls your disease. Sometimes this involves taking only a tiny dose every other day to stave off flare ups. Other medicines, besides prednisone, that are used to treat sarcoidosis include: Hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine (known as antimalarial medicines), or medicines that suppress the immune system (such as methotrexate, azathioprine, or leflunomide). Your doctor may prescribe these medicines if your sarcoidosis worsens while you're taking prednisone or if you can't handle prednisone's side effects.

Hello there. Does this make sense? Do you have any follow up questions or concerns? Let me know if you do and I would be happy to go over them with you.

If you have no more questions, please remember to provide a positive rating so I get credit for the time spent helping you.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Best wishes,

Doctor-Bob