Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My four year old son is uncircumcised. He never complains…

Hello. My four...

Hello. My four year old son is uncircumcised. He never complains when he is sock or in pain and underplas it so we never know until it gets really bad but this morning he was complaining that his penis was hurting him. I took a look and couldn't see anything and he seemed fairly unfazed and so I sent him to nursery. This evening just before his bath he was using his potty and I noticed a little light blood - practically lightest shade of pink - three spall drops. I asked him if his penis was still hurting and he said yes. I asked him where and he said all the way up and that he wishes he could get inside it to itch it or to pick at it. I am concerned. I was going to take him to his GP but it can be difficult to get an appointment. Please help. Thank you so much in advance....

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

His health has been fine - just a little cold and sore throat recently

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in the child's medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not really - even though when he was born and within the first year he had two urinary tract infection which he had fully investigated with scans at Great Ormond Street Hospital - but they found nothing. He seems to reach a high fever really fast whenever he is ill.

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/7/2017
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank You

he cold have a small bit of infection or irritation of the inside of the foreskin.

you can try to give him a warm bath and very gently pull back his foreskin and see if you can see signs of redness or infection or inflammation in the area.

try to wash with some soap and water as best as you can

have him drink enough fluids to make sure he pees frequently

he may have to give a urine sample at the doctors office to check for urinary tract infection.

Should I be trying to pull back his foreskin? I never do it as he winches when I have tried in the past and I was advised not to persist
I'm not sure how this works - Am I waiting for a reply to my last question or is the session over? Do you advise for e to go to my GP? Is this fairly common or does it seem unusual?
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I would try using just the warm wash cloth first to see if that helps loosen the foreskin.

If its painful, I would not forcefully try to retract it.

uncircumcised boys can get infections under the foreskin, so it is common.
keeping the area clean will help prevent further infections.

if his symptoms done improve over the next 24 to 48 hours, then I would recommend that you call his GP for an appointment.

Does that make sense?

Sure. Should the foreskin be able to pul back? I am sorry we don't have boys in our family and come from a long line of women so I have no idea

the foreskin should be able to pull back, but some boys have adhesions or small amounts of scar tissue that make prevent it from pulling all the way back when younger. usually these adhesions break down as they get older.

However, if he does get infections of the foreskin and can't retract it, the GP may send him to a urologist for an evaluation to see if a minor procedure is needed to break down the adhesions.

Does that make sense?

Okay, thank you.

You’re welcome and glad to be able to help you today!

I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD