Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

About two weeks ago, I developed small, red bumps and red…

Customer Question
About two weeks ago...

About two weeks ago, I developed small, red bumps and red irritation around my mouth. It proceeded to worsen so went to a walk-in appointment with dermatologist. I was prescribed a general anti-biotic and face cream. Getting no better, I went to a walgreens walk-in clinic on Thanksgiving day, because the swelling had dramatically worsened and could hardly open my mouth; was prescribed another general antibiotic. By Sunday 11/26, my mouth was HUGE and irritated, so went to an ER walk-n and was prescribed an anti-fungal. The irritation and swelling subsided, but now is starting to return: agitation, redness around mouth and patches of swelling. How can I rid of this before it once again worsens into the area around my mouth getting huge. Could it be from intimacy with my wife who may had a yeast infection; I was told this. If so, what can I do?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?

No. just around the mouth. The swelling subsided, but now agitated again with little patches of swelling

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/7/2017
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Can you please post a photo of the affected area here?

Pictures attached
Again, the swelling is no longer, but irritation, redness and "patches" of selling have returned

Thanks for the reply.

I have seen both the pictures, this can be fungal or bacterial but another possibility is eczema or dermatitis which is a skin disease due to inflammation and excessive dryness. I would recommend you to apply the same antifungal you have used before or get clotrimazole and bacitracin creams ( antibacterial) available OTC and do see a dermatologist and get a swab test to identify the correct organism causing this. In case it turns out to be infectious or fungal then your wife might need antifungal treatment as well.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Please let me know if you have followup questions.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor