Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I received a flu shot 9/18 because I was due with my

Customer Question
daughter 11/1. I was given...
I received a flu shot 9/18 because I was due with my daughter 11/1. I was given fluvirin preservative free which apparently is only a trivalent vaccine. Now I am concerned that I’m not as covered and neither is my infant daughter as we should be?I was told they didn’t have preservative free quads in stock when I got mine. Since we are cooconing our infant daughter should I get another shot?Is my 5 week old even protected as well as sh should be?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
12/7/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 4 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you.
I should add that I have three more children (10,8,6) all vaxed for flu.

"For years, flu vaccines were designed to protect against three different flu viruses (trivalent). This included an influenza A H1N1 virus, an influenza A H3N2 virus and one B virus. Experts had to choose one B virus, even though there are two very different lineages of B viruses that both circulate during most seasons. This meant the vaccine did not protect against the group of B viruses not included in the vaccine. Adding another B virus to the vaccine aims to give broader protection against circulating flu viruses."

you can read more here.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/quadrivalent.htm

you don't have to worry about getting the trivalent flu shot.

best thing to do to prevent flu and virus spread is to help boost your immune system and wash your hands frequently.

eating more fruits and vegetables, drinking water and fluids, getting enough proper sleep can help support your immune system

you don't have to worry

let me know if you have questions.

But are we not as protected as we should be? Also should I get another shot?My main priority is keeping my littlest from getting the flu. She’s only 5 weeks and I thought I did everything I needed to go to protect her by getting the vaccine so she would get some of the antibodies.

no, I would not get another shot.

you already have one B virus in the trivalent vaccine.

you have vaccinated all of your children

best thing to do is to wash your hands and stay healthy

everyone going to school should change their clothes when they get home and wear indoor clothes

no shoes in the house.

wash hands and take showers after school to wash away school germs.

that is best way to prevent against viral infections.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician