Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had surgery for a broken leg on friday. It was my R leg…

Customer Question
I had surgery for...

I had surgery for a broken leg on friday . It was my R leg and the break is just below my knee. My daughter who is aCNA took my blood pressure at 8:25 after I had already set up. It was 167/98 95p. She took it again at 10:23 pm and this was after I had been resting for a couple of hours and it was 181/99 83pp. My ankle and foot are more swollen then they have been since the surgery. Also there is a sharp pain in between my knee and my ankle when I get up. Should I be concerned.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Yes much more swelling in my ankle and foot.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Did you catch that my blood pressure is kind of high right now. It is not normally so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/7/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of clinical experience and I will do my best to help you today.

Your blood pressure is dangerously high. As per standard guidelines, blood pressure readings more than 180/100 mmHg should prompt you to go to ER for urgent management of hypertension and to bring it down quickly as this much high readings pose you at a greatly increased risk for Stroke and Heart Attack.

Now the main reason for high blood pressure you have appears to be the Pain you are having.

should I be concerned or not

Its frequent occurrence to have high blood pressure readings after surgery due to pain, but this much high readings are not acceptable. You nee urgent management for blood pressure as well as PAIN.

You should go to ER, for acute pain management as well as blood pressure management.

At the same time, the surgical site need to be examined for any possible infection as this is getting painful and more swollen.

Once infection or any post-operative complication is ruled out and blood pressure is brought down, you should be on strong pain medicines to suppress the pain so that blood pressure remains under control.

Was it helpful?

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to give 5 Star Rating to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.