Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How is the stomach flu contagious if you are an adult with…

Customer Question
How long is the...

How long is the stomach flu contagious if you are an adult with the disease?

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

The extreme lethargy started on Tuesday, and today I had a little vomiting and a little lose bowels. I received this years flu shot for over 65.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/7/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

rotavirus is the leading cause of viral gastroenteritis stomach flu in infants and young children and adults

symptoms usually appear one to three days after exposure

But you're contagious even before you develop symptoms, and up to two weeks after you've recovered

make sure you wash your hands frequently. that is the best way to prevent spread of the virus

let me know if you have questions.