Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have mild swelling and sharp but not lasting pain when I…

Customer Question
I have mild swelling...

I have mild swelling and sharp but not long lasting pain when I eat every meal. It is in the soft palate area of my mouth but extends into the nasal area on my left side only. It started a few weeks ago with spicy or peppery foods but it is now just about anything I eat. Is this infection, cancer, ???

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/7/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

if you have been eating a lot of spicy foods, you could be having mucositis inflammation of the mucosa lining of your soft palate

acid reflux can irritate this area at night time if stomach acid is coming up

eating spicy foods can irritate this area

I would cut down on the spicy foods for now

I bet the area will get better with time

let me know if you have questions.

It seems like Mucositis is something that you just have (i.e. sores, etc). I looked it up. What I have comes and goes with each meal now. Incredibly I am experiencing it with drinking water even! I have been trying to steer clear of spices but find that lemon can really bring it out too. Also, I have no problems with acid reflux.

you could be having some stomatitis or mucositis

you may need to get a biopsy of that raw area in the oral mucosa to see why it is sore.

a biopsy would sample cells from the area

do you have health insurance to be able to see an oral surgeon or ENT ear nose throat doctor who can look at that part of your soft palate and maybe do a mucosal biopsy to see what may be causing it?