Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What is Northera? Got name from DR and he said to get on Web…

Customer Question
What is Northera? Doctor's...

What is Northera?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Got name from DR and he said to get on Web MD.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He knows all meds

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I have long list of meds most for depression aned Bi polar been on these long time. New meds are potassium chloride. I take med for restless leg and one 81 asprin

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/7/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Northera is Droxidopa which is a synthetic amino acid precursor which acts as a prodrug to the neurotransmitter norepinephrine.

Unlike norepinephrine, droxidopa is capable of crossing the protective blood–brain barrier

it is unclear if taking Noorthera will help increase the neurotransmitter norepinephrine in the brain.

it sounds like you may be looking for other treatments of your bipolar disorder?

no I thought is was for deminsa - sorry about the spelling. I now think it is a new medicine I need to speak with my shrink

you can speak to your psychiatrist about it.

you think it is for dementia?

it doesn't sound like you have dementia currently, no?

how old are you?