Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I recently got a blood test and my cholesterol levels came…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hi i...

Second opinion] Hi i recently got a blood test and my cholesterol levels came back fine except for HDL level which was at 31 also i was flag vitamin D deficiency would that be probable cause for my cholesterol level be so low? if not what can it be done to improve this situation? .

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

I excersise everyday young and healthy and no i am not aware of heart disease that will run in the family other then high blood pressure

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/6/2017
Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 6 months ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. Your vitamin D has nothing to do with your cholesterol. There are many causes of low Hdl. Overweight, not exercising, family history and diet. Sounds like it may be diet. Hdl can be increased by not eating animal protein such as meat and dairy.
well a different doctor told me it there is probable cause that a lower hdl level can be cause by vitamin D defiency?
Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 6 months ago
Though low levels of vit d are associated with low hdl. There is no "causation" meaning a low vit d level does not cause a low hdl. The 2 abnormal values are more likely linked to poor nutrition
ok so switched my nutrition and eat better and the Hdl level should raise?
i am sorry but i disagree with your theory there is enough scientific research that if a person is Vitamin D Deficient and has low levels of HDL the person can take a Vitamin D supplement and there HDL levels will raise with in a few weeks.
Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 6 months ago
Its not a theory, its a fact. There's no proven connection with taking vitamin d and increasing your hdl level to a normal range.
tell me why 2 doctors in California agreed with me one on this website and the other one being my primary care doctor?
Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 6 months ago
That's their opinion. It sounds like you would like it to be true and would like to take vitamin d in hope of fixing it. So not sure why you just would not do that. I dont happen to agree.
ok but what is your specialty in the medical industry?
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 6 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

I see where a prior expert here online talked to you about taking more vitamin D

taking more vitamin D can help bring up your vitamin D levels which can help

foods like olive oil, salmon, nuts, flax seed, avacados, soy, whole grains, oatmeal can help bring up your HDL levels

let me know if you have questions.