Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

It is rather apparent that I have a bowel infection.

Customer Question
It is rather apparent...

It is rather apparent that I have a bowel infection. Intestines hurt, they are incredibly sore. It all started with a bad case of diarhea 5 days ago. Then for the last 4 days I've been constipated. Two days ago I started taking a stool softener. As of yesterday, I have a very small bowel movement about every 90 minutes...round the clock. Again, my intestines are incredibly sore - they hurt.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

My doctor died so I have no doctor at this time. I do however, have some Metronidazol 500mg from a couple years ago. I was given this due to a bout with - I forget the name of it but it is when you an infection in one of the outpockets in your intestine. The pain is constant except for shortly after I have a bowel movement but only for about 20mintues.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I take two drugs for diabetes.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/6/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

how old are you?

it doe sound like you have inflammation of your bowels

you could have a viral or bacterial colitis infection.

you could have diverticulois pain in your bowels if you were constipated.

small hard stool can get trapped in the bowel wall and cause pain.

is that why you were taking a stool softener?

do you have a doctor you can see for your bowels

you may need a course of cipro and flagyl antibiotics for a bowel infection or diverticulosis pain.