Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter is in a drug rehabilitation program related to…

Customer Question
My daughter is in a...
My daughter is in a drug rehabilitation program related to opioids. This is the ASAP program in SLC, Utah and is intended to keep a felony from her record. She has been urine tested multiple times weekly for a year and a half and has never had a positive test. She is ready to graduate to the Phase II level, yet twice in the past month she has tested positive for "Spice". We had to look it up on the internet as she hadn't even heard of it. I am positive she is telling the truth in denying she has ever used such a substance. She is just not on drugs of any kind. She challenged the first test and the original sample was supposedly retested, but it took 3 weeks to get the results; which were negative, so she was exonerated of that. She is scheduled to "graduate" today but last night was told her urine test had again tested positive for Spice! She is beside herself and will again challenge it. Again I am positive she is truthful in not having ever taken it. We may have to wait another 3 weeks for the retesting results--this is ridiculous--since it should again come back negative. If it is again positive--3 day jail sentence! What could be causing this? Given you believe she has not taken this drug, what could be the causes for the "false" positives, and what can we do about it?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
12/6/2017
Doctor: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.comThis is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.
I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.
Thank you for your patience.
Answers here are for education and information only.
What prescription and over the counter medications is she currently taking?
Some medications can cause a false-positive on the initial drug screen, but then a more accurate second test is done using special equipment to detect the actual drug that is being tested for.
Family Physician, Doctor