Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What is SICA. Difficulty swallowing, swollen tongue, wounds…

Customer Question
What is SICA Doctor's...

What is SICA

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Difficulty swallowing, swollen tongue, wounds inside my nose

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

Off and on ~i year. Most bothersome is the chocking. I'm scared to eat because I choke on things that others normally don't. No recent injuries.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Had gall bladder surgery in June, still have acid reflux. It seems I have a set of symptoms, they eventually go away and another et of symptoms take over.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/6/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. I believe you are referring to sicca syndrome is a disease which is related to sjorgens syndrome. Dryness of the exocrine glands, particularly the eyes and mouth, is referred to as “sicca syndrome” or “sicca complex” when there is no evidence of autoimmune disease present. While sicca symptoms occur in the vast majority of Sjorgen's patients, not everyone with these symptoms has Sjögren’s. Because of this, it is important to establish an autoimmune cause for the dryness. Dryness from Sjögren’s may affect any organ in the body that secretes moisture. In addition to changing the quantity and quality of saliva and tears, dryness may manifest in the airways, nasal passages, sinuses, throat and in women, the vagina. Some Sjögren’s patients initially present with recurrent sinus infections, severe vaginal dryness, chronic dry cough, and so on.

So in simple terms, sicca syndrome or sicca symptoms basically refer to dryness inside the mouth, throat and also in the eyes. This usually results from damage to the salivary glands in the mouth. In your case, the decreased amount of saliva being secreted by the glands is leading to the difficulty swallowing, swelling of the tongue and also the wounds inside the nose. The choking could be a result of the food not getting enough lubrication from the saliva in order to be swallowed. Now the first step here would be to determine if there is an autoimmune cause for your symptoms and this would be done with the help of a complete autoimmune blood workup which would include tests like ESR, ANA, ENA profile, Anti SSA and SSB antibodies among others. Once diagnosed it can be treated with medications like steroids. Artificial saliva can be used as needed, although patient tolerance varies. Preparations include Salivart, Salient, Saliva Substitute, MouthKote, and Xero-Lube.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/